Z

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Darling, Sweetie, Honey, What do you want?

I have never been referred to the above so many times in my life. It has been the most irritating thing on my vacation. Other than that, I've had a great time. On Thursday, Ayla and I toured all over. We went to see how they made Batik, which is a weaving technique. I bought this gorgeous painting/print outlined with gold accenting. Adding to the mix, it was a wicked hot day!! After that we head out to (I think) a woodcarving. They used various woods such as sandalwood and ebony. The carvings varied in sizes. The detail was quite incredible. After that pit stop, we headed to Celuk, which is a major jewellery making centre. I bought a necklace there and picture of my astrological sign made out of silver. I’m going to have it reset because the frame is awful.

Following these frequent pit stops, we went to Gunung Kawi, which is a temple. They had a ton of stairs to descend and once we finally got there, we saw what is meant to represent the mountains carved into a wall of rock. There were about 4 or 5 of these huge “mountains”. On our way down we were bombarded with people wanting us to buy their wares. So on the way up, Ayla and I had fun shopping - almost to the point of putting us off schedule. I bought a mask, some clothes and a coconut carving depicting butterflies. I just hope is survives the trip home.

When we had finally finished up there, we headed to Kitamani. This is the still an active volcano in Bali. It was beautiful. We happened to have a sun shower on the way up there. We ate lunch at this place overlooking the area of the volcano. It finished raining and we were lucky enough to see a rainbow that was very vivid and I took tons of pictures of it. As well with it raining on and off it caused clouds to rise up from the ground.

After visiting the lookout point for the volcano, we went to see some more rice terraces. These were steeper than the ones I had previously seen. As well, we visited the Elephant cave, Goa Goja. It was a really elaborate carving that was the mouth of a small “cave”. Then we walked down to see a waterfall. I got my fill of waterfalls this trip as opposed to my trips to Thailand where I didn’t see any.
That was our last stop of the day and we finally headed home. It was a long day of touring and I was ready to relax a little. I planned to meet up with Ayla for dinner. We went shopping some more because she needed shoes and I needed stuff for surfing for the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home